Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Scout Oath



After attending the Springville Republican caucus and hearing various platforms, I started to wonder what documents best describe my personal convictions, outside of religious documents. Upon contemplation, I have realized that the Scout Oath (and Scout Law) do a great job of very succinctly outlining how I try to live my life, and consequently, how I would act if ever elected to public office. (And yes, I am an Eagle Scout.)

Scout Oath
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law
A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maria said...

I think this post would have been improved if you had a picture of Matt reciting the Scout Law taken with that great camera of yours.

Kari Jo said...

Classic and down to earth....I like it!

Dad said...

From what I've come to know of you, so far, Matt, I think you live up to those lofty ideals very well, and hence, I think they describe you well.