Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Six months

Henry turned six months old today!

What a great reason to post on the blog again ;).

A few thoughts/observations:

we *love* our son. Henry has quite a bit of energy. Of course, this can be absolutely delightful or a bit tiring, depending on the time of day and how happy he is. At church, people are starting to know me as Henry's dad. Since Tricia plays the organ, we sit towards the front. Henry is doing a better job at not needing to be taken out during church, but he's not the quietest kid around. He loves to pant enthusiastically during songs, growl and bang his toys while he plays with them, and squirm. These are all fun behaviors at home, so I'm sure it doesn't register at all when I "shush" him at church. Last Sunday on our way home, my muscles were tired and it felt like I had just been through a wrestling match.

Words that I would use to describe Henry: engaging, very good communicator about his feelings, absolutely loves the outside (he will stop crying the second we step out the door), curious, loves to splash in the bathtub, intense. It feels like Henry never does anything half-heartedly. When he gets his diaper changed in the morning, he flaps his arms like he's making a snow angel and grunts happily. We call it his "exercises". When he plays with toys, he attacks them. He does have a quieter side, but it's a very purposeful quieter side. He still loves the piano, and now will join in by playing some of his own notes. When I take him on rides in the stroller or Tricia sits with him outside, he can be very still, but his deep enjoyment is almost palpable. Tricia and I both love him intensely. Henry's vibrancy is an welcome addition to our family.

5 comments:

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

Henry is growing so fast! I can't believe he is already 6 months old. Tricia, he is so lucky to have you as his mom. We should get in touch some time. :)

Anonymous said...

Tricia,

Our gate is a Summer from Babies R us. I believe it is the Sure and secure extra tall walk thru gate.

Kari Jo said...

Amen! I love the little man, and he was so fun to watch on Saturday.....I went through the intense playing and the contented sitting, along with the expression of emotions. But really, he's quite the good kid :) Here's to the next six months!

Dad said...

Thanks for sharing. I often wonder what Henry did to merit such a loving and outstanding home and parents. He is one blessed and fortunate little man. And, yeah, he's got some pretty darned good extended family in there, too ;-)

Love,
Dad

Kate Johnson said...

I see you have been spending more time with Henry than you have updating your blog. Allow me to say happy belated birthday to Henry (yes, I know this is a 6 month blog, but this comment is coming six months later). And I will add a happy birthday (yes, today) to Matt. Tricia, a happy birthday to you whenever your special day is. The next time we talk I will find out when it is. You guys are all great!